Well my plan was to blog about my champagne Jello shots, just in time for new years! But….I forgot to take pictures! I was too busy preparing other foods and festivities for my party. So I’m going with another tasty, simple appetizer sure to wow any guest! Caesar Salad Bites! It takes a little time, however they’re easy and worth the extra minutes. But you can make them ahead of time; so all you have to do the day of, is mix the salad and place into the parm bowls right before you guests arrive! So cheers to a new year, many more delicious, healthy recipes, and you!
Health tips: diabetes friendly, low carb
Ingredients: 6 or more servings (I made about 20 cups with 6-7 oz. of cheese. I used the rest of the cheese to sprinkle on top)
- 8 oz. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- Your favorite bottled Caesar salad dressing mix
- Shot glasses (I used 8…yes, I own a ton of shot glasses)
- Spatula (a metal one works best)
- Skillet (I used my pancake skillet)
- Make Parmesan cups by heating a skillet over medium-low to medium heat. With your fingers, sprinkle 1 ½ -2 TBS of parm cheese on the skillet, in a circular shape. Just start out with one to get a “feel” for how to do it. Wait a few minutes until the cheese melts and you can see a golden color around the edges and through the cheese.
- Some will come out looking like lace, some will come out more solid. All is fine! With a spatula, take the cheese off of the skillet and place it over an upside down shot glass (golden side facing upward).
You may need to use your hand to form the cheese into a mini bowl shape. They only take a few minutes to cool, then you can take them off and repeat the process. It’s reeeaalllly easy, but just takes a little extra time. But well worth it. (Additionally, you can do this in the oven, but you have to work too quickly to put the parm cheese over the shot glasses before they “set”. So I prefer to use the stove for this.)
- Mix the chopped romaine with your favorite dressing. Now just fill up your cute little Parmesan cups with the salad, top with a sprinkle of parm cheese (cause who wouldn’t want extra cheese?), and top with one crouton! That’s it!