Tyler Florence’s potato salad is my favorite on earth, and has been my go-to side dish for many summer potlucks and BBQs. It has lots of flavors and textures, just perfect…an oldie but definitely a goodie! I modified it a bit to be lighter, and it’s still very creamy and flavorful. It’s pretty easy to make and can be prepared and refrigerated ahead of time…the flavors just get better!
Health tips: Reduced fat, heart healthy
Ingredients (6-8 servings)
- 2 lbs. small Yukon gold potatoes (If large, just chop into consistent smaller 2″ chunks.)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 bunch sliced scallions, white and green parts
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup non-fat greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles with 1/4 cup juice, about 2 pickles
- 1/2 small or 1/4 larger red onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 bunch dill, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Put the potatoes and eggs into a big pot of cold salted water about 1″ above potatoes and eggs. Bring to a simmer. After 12 minutes, remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and let cool. Continue cooking the potatoes until a paring knife poked into them goes in without resistance, about 15-20 minutes longer. Drain the potatoes in a colander and let them cool.
- Meanwhile, soak onions in water for about 15 minutes. This will soften the flavor of the raw onions. Drain.
- Reserve some scallion greens and capers for garnish. Stir together the mayo, yogurt, mustard, pickles and their juice, onion, remaining scallions and capers, parsley, dill and lemon juice in a bowl large enough to hold the potatoes.
- Peel the cooled eggs and roughly chop 2 of the 3 eggs into the bowl. Once cooled, break up the potatoes by hand into rough chunks, add them to the bowl and toss to coat with the dressing. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Slice the 3rd egg. Garnish the top of the potato salad with the sliced egg, and extra scallions and capers. Drizzle with a little olive oil before serving. Enjoy!