This recipe is a must try for this hot summer! Tammy and I came across it during a Two-Week Clean Eating Challenge and just fell in love. Thank you buzzfeed.com for the inspiration! It only takes a few ingredients and is completely refreshing and satisfying. This mango banana version is just an example of one sorbet you can create. You can customize it to your liking, using other fruits and even additional ingredients like peanut butter and Nutella! Using bananas as the base of your sorbet is great though because it adds that creaminess to your sorbet. Experiment in your kitchen with this method, you can’t go wrong…just remember two words, freeze and blend!
Health tips: Dairy free, heart healthy, low carb, low fat, anti-inflammatory, kid friendly
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 1 large ripe mango (Tip: The yellow Manila mangos are the sweetest!)
- ½ large ripe banana
- 2-5 tablespoons cold water, as needed
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut, for garnish
- Peel and cut mango (Tip: Cut the two “cheeks” off the sides of the seed, criss-cross slice the meat, pop the meat out upwards and cut. You can also cut some extra meat off the seed.) Cut the banana into 1″ chunks. Freeze mango and banana for a few hours or overnight.
- Combine frozen mango and banana in a small blender or food processor and process until the mixture is the consistency of sorbet. If the blades stop turning or the mixture is too thick to blend, add water 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed.
- Divide the mixture in two. Top with shredded coconut. Enjoy!
*You can also use this method and experiment with other ingredients such as other fruits, peanut butter, honey, chocolate, Nutella, and nuts!*