As you can probably already tell, my mom is a big inspiration for me as far as my love for food and cooking. Growing up, I remember her cooking a variety of dishes, Filipino, Italian, Asian…and the list goes on, and I was always there to help chop and prep. One of her signature potluck dishes is Chicken Divan. I love how creamy and cheesy it is, one of my favorites until now. Plus it’s low carb! This is my twist on it, transforming it from a casserole, to a dinner for two.
Health tips: Low fat, heart healthy, diabetes friendly, low carb, anti-inflammatory
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 1 large chicken breast, pounded and cut in half (Each serving should be about 4-5 oz.)
- 2 wedges garlic & herb Laughing Cow or Alouette cheese (or another similar low-fat cheese about .75 oz each)
- 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped in small bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup fat-free sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 3/4 cup fat-free cream (i.e. half-and-half, evaporated milk)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Dash of curry powder
- Fresh thyme, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Boil water in a small pot. Quickly blanch broccoli for 1 minute until just bright green and crisp tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Pat dry.
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Butterfly slice each breast piece to split open. Be careful not to slice all the way through.
- Spread half of each cheese wedge on the inside of each side of the breast.
- Put half the broccoli in each breast piece.
- Top broccoli in each breast piece with 1 1/2 tablespoons of cheddar cheese. Top with some pepper if desired.
- Close the butterflied breast pieces and secure open sides with 1-2 toothpicks. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on both sides.
- Drizzle some olive oil in an oven-proof skillet and heat on high. Quickly brown both sides of breast pieces, about 2-3 minutes each side.
- Put the skillet in the oven and cook chicken through about 10-15 minutes, until internal temperature reads 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and let it rest, loosely covered in foil.
- Put the same skillet back on the stove on medium heat. Pour in the half-and-half with the drippings and simmer. Reduce until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Take off heat and whisk in remaining tablespoon of cheddar cheese, Dijon mustard and curry. Mix in any extra meat juices from the resting chicken into the sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Top chicken with creamy sauce, and garnish with fresh thyme and more pepper if desired. Enjoy!