This has to be one of my (and the hubby’s) favorite types of lettuce wraps just for the simple fact that it tastes like the taco we all know and love, without the added carbs! We could probably eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and not feel gross afterwards. It’s so easy to put together and can be customized how you like, or with whatever is left in the fridge. Try it this Taco Tuesday!
Health tips: Low fat, low carb, heart healthy, diabetes friendly, anti inflammatory
Ingredients (4 servings)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 package low-sodium taco seasoning or 2 tablespoons of Family Apron’s taco seasoning
- Butter lettuce leaves (about 3-4 per serving)
- Toppings: Tapatio (or your favorite hot sauce), non-fat green yogurt, tomatoes, cilantro and shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté onions until soft and golden.
- Brown the turkey until cooked through, while breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon throughout the process.
- Add seasoning to the meat and follow instructions (like adding water if needed).
- Take the meat off the heat and put a few spoonfuls in each lettuce leaf. Top with hot sauce, yogurt, tomatoes, cilantro and cheese, Enjoy!