In these tough times, we all have a lot of free time at home and it’s a challenge trying to cook healthy while also searching for the ingredients you need at the store. If you’re lucky enough to find eggs (by the way, highly recommend Instacart, this is the only way I was able to snag eggs), try this low-carb recipe I found through Eating Well. I was pleasantly satisfied, soooooo tasty. And it can be enjoyed any time of day. The fluffy ricotta mixed with the eggs and veggie mixture makes for a luxurious texture and flavor!
Health tips: Low carb, Keto, low fat, diabetes friendly
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese (you can substitute this with another nutty cheese like Swiss or Parmesan)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat a 10-inch pie pan or ceramic quiche dish with cooking spray. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, tapping out the excess.
- Snap tough ends off asparagus. Slice off the top 2 inches of the tips and reserve. Cut the stalks into 1/2-inch-long slices.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell pepper, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add water and the asparagus stalks to the skillet. Cook, stirring, until the asparagus is tender and the liquid has evaporated, about 7 minutes (the mixture should be very dry). Season with salt and pepper. Arrange the vegetables in an even layer in the prepared pan.
- Whisk eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Add ricotta, parsley, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; whisk to blend. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables, gently shaking the pan to distribute. Scatter the reserved asparagus tips over the top and sprinkle with Gruyere.
- Bake the frittata until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. To brown the top, put under the broiler for a bit but be sure to closely watch it! Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Top with ketchup and/or hot sauce. Enjoy!