One of the people who has really brought me comfort and continues to inspire me during this time of quarantine is Rachael Ray. She’s been posting videos of herself along with her husband John, her dog Izaboo, and recipes! Well, I got a wild hair up my you-know-what and decided to make a super amateur video that I posted on Facebook. I found a recipe I wanted to revamp….almost like a Thanksgiving casserole (and I am truly “thankful” for this gift of time with my family). It was super simple, super easy, and I had all the ingredients on hand! It came out great, but I forgot to spray my slow cooker first and I didn’t have an liners left….ooops! I also browned by chicken breast really quickly because “color equals flavor”. It would not have tasted as good if I didn’t brown the chicken first! But by all means, you can absolutely throw everything into the crockpot! I can’t see what you’re doing, so no worries! But the meal brought me comfort in all this rainy weather too! I’m going to share it with you all. Stay healthy!
Health Tips: you can make this “kidney friendlier” by omitting all salt and buying a lower sodium stuffing mix.
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1-6oz. box stuffing mix (such as Stove Top)
- 1-10 1/2 oz. can of cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt or even Mexican crema
- 3/4 cup milk, chicken broth, or water
- 10-20 oz. frozen green beans (my family LOVES green beans, so I put 20 oz.)
- Salt, pepper, granulated garlic
- Oil (I used avocado oil)
- Cooking spray
- I just want to start by saying USE WHAT YOU HAVE ON HAND. No need to go to the store. There are swap-outs you can use: I used Greek yogurt because I didn’t have sour cream. But if you have some Mexican crema or even creme fresh, use that! I used milk, but after I thought about it, I could have used chicken broth or stock! Water will work too! They’ll all work! It’s a slow cooker!
- Heat a skillet on super high heat with a couple of teaspoons of oil. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. Brown quickly (no need to cook through, just brown) on each side-2 minutes. Just enough to get carmelized.
- While chicken is browning, get a bowl and mix cream of chicken soup, Greek yogurt, and milk or broth until smooth. Set aside.
- Assemble: FIRST, spray slow cooker with cooking spray (rinse a liner). Then, layer chicken in bottom of slow cooker, then sprinkle box of stuffing mix on top. Pour soup mixture on top, making sure its evenly covered. Top with frozen green beans. Sprinkle green beans with salt and pepper. THAT’S IT! SOOOO EASY!
- Set on high for 3 1/2 hours.