Ok, so this past Thanksgiving I made a lot of sweet potato casserole…and had a lot of sweet potato left. I thought…hm what to do? What about Norman! That’s my precious Basset Hound. Why can’t he indulge as well right? This recipe is so easy and your furry friend will love you for it!
Health tips: Low fat, heart healthy, diabetic friendly, dog friendly, anti-inflammatory
Ingredients (Makes about 30 treats)
- 1 cup sweet potato, cooked, mashed and cooled (about 1 large or 2 small/medium potatoes)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups wheat or quinoa flour
1. Preheat your oven to 350º F.
2. Mix together sweet potato and coconut oil, until well combined. Don’t worry about getting it completely smooth.
3. Add flour, about a half cup at a time, until dough begins to stick together and release from the sides of your bowl.
4. On a floured surface, roll out your dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut out your treats. You can use a bone shaped cookie cutter or just shape yourself. Your baby won’t mind! =P If you use quinoa flour, it’s not as elastic as regular flour, so you may have to roll in batches if your dough breaks apart easily.
5. Bake treats on parchment paper for 20-25 minutes, then turn the oven off (or as far down as you can make it go) and let them sit and dry out for another 45 minutes to an hour. Take out your treats and let them cool before putting them away.