Ever wonder what you can do with extra taco meat? This isn’t an exact recipe, but it’s a wonderful method for using extra taco meat in another reimagined meal. It’s still fairly light and very tasty, even your kids will love it! Sort of a mix between a burger and a sloppy Joe, but better. Plus, there is room to make it your own. Try it soon with your family!
Health tips: Low fat, heart healthy, kid friendly
Ingredients (Servings vary based on leftover meat)
- Leftover ground taco meat with taco seasonings, preferably lean turkey (Tip: When I cook my original taco meat, I like to sauté some diced onions first and mix with the meat and seasonings for extra flavor.)
- Fresh tomatoes or canned (drained), diced
- Onions, halved and sliced
- Olive oil (Butter optional)
- Reduced-fat cheese, shredded
- Hamburger buns, preferably wheat, toasted
- Optional toppings: Hot sauce, cilantro, etc…
- Heat some oil on medium in a skillet. Sauté onions until softened and golden. Add in the tomatoes and heat through for a bit until softened.
- Add the leftover seasoned taco meat to the veggies and thoroughly mix and heat through.
- Brush some olive oil (or butter) on the top and bottom of the hamburger buns. In another pan, turn heat to medium-low and toast until browned.
- Scoop meat mixture onto the bottom bun and top with shredded cheese. Cover pan and steam until cheese is melted.
- Add toppings of your choice (I prefer hot sauce and cilantro). Top with the other bun and enjoy!