Who doesn’t love pasta? This is a yummy protein-packed pasta that you do not have to feel guilty about! The shrimp has protein, the pasta has protein, and even the yogurt has protein. It has a real kick too! Cheers to spicing up your life!
Health tips: Kidney friendly
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 1 lb. raw shrimp, peel and devein (buy whatever size is on sale! I used large 31-35 count)
- 1-2 TBS olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped or crushed ( I actually grate my garlic on my Microplane)
- 2 tsp (or more if you like really spicy) of your favorite Cajun seasoning (I like this brand: http://shop.wildtree.com/catalog/cfProduct_Detail.cfm?p=10190)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ c. half and half (or milk or original flavor almond milk)
- ¼ c. non-fat Greek yogurt
- 8 oz. whole wheat linguine pasta
- Shredded parmesan cheese
- For this dish, I like to cut my shrimp in half length-wise. It gives you the illusion of more shrimp and when it cooks, it gets super curly. But you can leave it whole, it’s up to you. 🙂
- Cook linguine pasta according to package directions, until al dente (I know most people salt the cooking water, but if you are watching your sodium intake, you should not). Before you drain the pasta, save a ladle or coffee cup full of the starchy cooking water (just in case you need to loosen the pasta up later).
- Add olive oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté bell peppers for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds. Add shrimp and Cajun seasoning. Cook for a few minutes (depending on the size of your shrimp and if you cut them in half). Reduce the heat to medium.
4. Add pasta, half and half, and yogurt to the skillet. Stir until combined.