Are you ready for a super easy, quick and tasty snack? Roasted vegetables yield so much flavor and I’d have to say that cabbage is one of my favorites! As soon as you start roasting cabbage in the oven, the smells that fly through the house are amazing. And talk about healthy…cabbage is full of antioxidants, and rich nutrients that fight cancer and inflammation. This recipe allows you to indulge in a light helping of delicious bacon and cheese, while also taking in these amazing nutrients. We foodies don’t want to deprive ourselves right??? Proportion is key! You deserve it! =)
Health tips: Anti-inflammatory, low carb, low fat, heart healthy, diabetes friendly
Ingredients (4-6 servings)
- 1 whole cabbage, your choice of green or red
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice, or red or white wine vinegar
- Course pepper
- Optional: Your choice of sodium-free seasoning such as Mrs. Dash
- 4 slices of pre-cooked bacon (This has less sodium than packaged, uncooked bacon)
- Blue cheese, crumbled; if you don’t like blue cheese, replace with feta or goat cheese
- Scallions (green onion) or chives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice cabbage into 1/2 inch slices. Depending on how big the cabbage is, you’ll get between 4-6 slices.
- Place cabbage slices on foil-lined baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Drizzle or brush olive oil over the top and sides of the cabbage. Squeeze lemon juice or drizzle vinegar over the top. Liberally season with pepper, and other seasoning if desired.
- Bake in oven for about 30 minutes, until edges and top of cabbage are browned. The edges may look burned, but it’s okay, it adds to the roasty flavor. You’ll know when it’s ready when the top is golden and layers start to loosen.
- While the cabbage is baking, place bacon on paper towels and quickly heat up in the microwave as directed on the package. I like my bacon crunchy, so I cook between 1-1 1/2 minutes. Let cool.
- Take the hot cabbage out of the oven and immediately top with cheese (about 2 teaspoons each), crumbled bacon (1 slice each) and green onion (about a pinch each). Top with more pepper and lemon juice if desired. Enjoy!