I don’t think to make quesadillas often. But why not? They’re delicious, quick, satisfying, easy, and can be made healthy*. Note to self…make more quesadillas!
Loaded with veggies, lean chicken, and made with healthy tortillas, these really are fit-for-you! And with the temperature being over 100 today, I didn’t want to cook inside. So once again, I used my grill. It was as easy as making quesadillas on the stove. So I encourage you all to use your outdoor grill more, especially when it’s super hot outside!
Health tips: Kidney friendly, low carb, diabetes friendly*
Ingredients (4 servings):
- Olive oil
- Olive oil spray
- Your favorite taco/chicken seasoning (or you can use mine: https://familyapron.com/2015/08/13/taco-seasoning/)
- 1 ½ lbs. chicken breasts
- ½ cup chopped scallions (green onions)
- ½ cup chopped red bell peppers
- ½ cup seeded, diced tomatoes
- Shredded or sliced cheese of your choice (I used sharp cheddar and jack cheese because I had them in my fridge) The amount depends on how healthy you want it.
- 4 whole wheat flour tortillas*
- Greek yogurt (low fat or non-fat)
- Your favorite salsa (green, red, or both!)
- Shredded lettuce
- Pre-heat your grill/BBQ to medium-high heat. Rub a little olive oil on the grates.
- Chop your tomatoes, scallions, and red peppers. Sauté the bell peppers with a little olive oil in a skillet for a few minutes if you do not want them raw. Set aside.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning on chicken and grill until done. Take chicken off of the grill and let the chicken rest for a few minutes then chop into bite-size pieces. Turn grill down to low.
- Spray one side of flour tortillas with cooking spray. Lay oiled side down onto the grill. Work fast, adding a little cheese on half of the tortilla. Add chicken and veggies on top of the cheese. Add a tiny bit more cheese on top of the chicken and veggies, then close/fold over tortilla. Grill for a few minutes, and then flip over to grill the other side. Repeat step 4 for each serving.
- Take off the grill and let it rest for a minute, then cut into wedges. Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce with salsa and Greek yogurt on the side.
* I recently stumbled on to these super awesome, healthy flour tortillas. They’re soft, pliable, have a good flavor, and they’re healthy! (Might I add, these are great for wraps?!?!) And even though I am not a dietitian, I think these tortillas are good enough for diabetics. There are 14 carbohydrates per 1 tortilla. However, there are 9 grams of fiber! The fiber sort of “counteracts” the carbs, so these tortillas only have 5 carbs…5 CARBS! (If you’re counting the type of carbs that affect your blood sugar, you can subtract the grams of fiber from the total grams of carbohydrate to get a more accurate picture). Plus, there are 5 grams of protein to boot!
4 thoughts on “Fit-For-You Quesadillas”
These sound easy and yummy! Im gna try em tomorrow 😉
I’m glad you think so! Let us know how it goes! Enjoy!
These look excellent! I don’t like your choice of tortilla though. Although they are low in fat/calories, they are highly processed sodium bombs. La Banderita Corn Tortillas are the best (25mg sodium, 100 kcal), but Trader Joe’s has some too that are less than half the sodium and not as processed.
Great to know! I have a Trader Joe’s close to me. I will definitely try them! Thank you for the healthy reference! 🙂 Thank YOU!