It rained yesterday! There was an actual chill in the air! You know what that means…comfort food season! My sister and I are going to take the recipes we all love and make them healthier. I’m starting off by taking a gut-busting food and turning it into a healthy soup. So when it gets a little chilly outside, make my chicken pot pie soup with pie crust croutons…it’ll warm your soul 🙂
Health tips: diabetes-friendly, kidney-friendly, kid-friendly
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3-4 carrots, chopped
- ½ c. frozen peas
- 1 TBS butter
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 3 TBS flour
- 4 c. chicken stock or broth (but if time permits, make Melanie’s chicken stock found here)
- 1 ½ c. original almond milk (not the sweet kind or vanilla flavor)
- 1 small bay leaf
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Your favorite brand of refrigerated pie crust (I had left-over pie crust dough from my empanada recipe)
- 1 egg and 1 TBS water to make an egg wash
- Make the pie crust croutons. Pre-heat the oven according to package directions. Roll out the pie dough and use a cookie cutter to make cute-shaped “croutons” (I used stars). Place shapes on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Brush with egg wash mixture and bake. Set the timer for 7 minutes. Check the croutons to see if they are a golden brown color. You might have to bake them for a few more minutes. Mine were done after 9 minutes. Take out and cool.
- In a big pot or Dutch oven (I love my Rachael Ray Dutch oven found here), melt the butter into the oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery, potatoes, onion, ½ tsp salt and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken stock, garlic powder, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium-low. Cook until veggies are tender.
- In an airtight container, shake the flour and almond milk together until there are no lumps. Add to soup pot and turn the heat back up to medium-high. Let the mixture come to a boil to thicken. Add peas and pepper and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Serve in bowls and top with pie crust croutons! Enjoy!