If you enjoy sweet and savory flavors, then this is the recipe for you. It reminds me of the flavors of a bbq sauce; sweet, smoky and full of flavor.
I’ve been spending a lot of money on food this holiday season (which I love), but I needed an inexpensive meal to make. And since chicken was on sale this week, I picked some up. Thighs and drum sticks on sale for .89 a pound! Can’t beat that! This recipe is cheap and cheerful, super simple to make, and smells super delicious while it’s cookin’ up in the oven! I added some smoked paprika to this dish, but the next time I make, I’m going to cook the chicken in my smoker. I only wish I would have thought of this one myself! Enjoy!
Thank you Mrs. Happy Homemaker for the inspiration!
Health tips: kidney-friendly, kid-friendly, low-carb
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 4 pounds skinless chicken legs, thighs or both, skin peeled off
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 TBS garlic powder
- 2 TBS ground cumin
- 3 TBS chili powder
- 1 TBS paprika
- 1 TBS smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the skin off of all pieces of chicken. Use a paper towel to help you, if it’s too slippery. Make 3 scores (take you knife and gently slice/cut the chicken, but not all the way down to the bone) on the meaty section of each chicken leg and thigh.
- In a gallon sized food storage bag, add the rest of the ingredients and squish the outside of the bag to mix it all up. Add the chicken and move the marinade around so that all pieces are coated. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes (I marinated mine for 3 hours).
- Place the chicken pieces in a casserole dish, scores (cuts/slices) facing up. Bake for 45-60 minutes depending on the size of the chicken pieces. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh (just make sure the thermometer is in the meat and not touching a bone). When it reads 165 degrees, then take them out of the oven. Chow down!