I love salad! Salads are fun to eat, versatile, and I don’t have to feel guilty about eating them! And thank you to Rachael Ray for coming up with this salad that we have eaten over and over in my house. I want to share it with you. Sliced Steak Salad with Bloody Mary Vinaigrette. All the flavors you love from a Bloody Mary, turned into a salad. Original recipe found here. Thank you Rachael Ray….Family Apron loves you!
Health tips: kidney friendly, diabetes friendly, low carb
Ingredients: 4 servings
For the Vinaigrette:
- 2 TBS tomato paste
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 TBS prepared horseradish
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup olive oil (I ran out, so I used canola oil)
- 1 TBS finely chopped-flat leaf parsley
- Lots of black pepper
- Tabasco sauce, to taste, (optional)
For the Salad:
- 1 large head of romaine, chopped
- 4 small stalks celery, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 1/2 pound 1-inch-thick flatiron or flank steak(I used London Broil)
- Salt and pepper
- Sliced large green olives with pimiento, for garnish (I used olives stuffed with blue cheese, my hubby wanted the jalapeño stuffed olives)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Heat pan to medium-high (I used my iron skillet).
- Combine the tomato paste, lemon juice, horseradish and Worcestershire in a bowl. Whisk in the EVOO, then the parsley; season with black pepper and Tabasco.
- Combine the romaine and celery in a large bowl.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper and add the steak to the skillet. Cook, turning occasionally, until the center is pink, 12 to 15 minutes. Let the meat rest, loosely covered with foil, for about 10 minutes, then thinly slice across the grain.
- Toss the salad with half of the dressing. Serve the sliced steak on the top and drizzle with the remaining dressing. Sprinkle with the sliced olives.