Craving a different kind of salad? I cannot tell you how delicious this salad is. And if you think you don’t like quinoa…you’re wrong! When you add the flavors of lime, cilantro, and avocado, along with the “poppy” texture from the quinoa, your mouth is going to explode! If you are going to give quinoa a try, please make this! And the best part is that you can feel great about eating it!
Health tips: gluten free, vegetarian, heart healthy, diabetes friendly
Ingredients: 6-8 servings
- 1 c. quinoa, rinsed
- 2 c. chicken stock or broth
- 2 handfuls of cilantro, chopped and divided
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 c. cherry, grape, or other small variety of tomato, sliced in half
- 4 green onions, sliced
- ½ jalapeño, finely diced (optional)
- ½ tsp lime zest
- ¼ c. canola or olive oil
- ¼ c. lime juice (about 2 big limes)
- 1 small handful of cilantro
- 1 small clove of garlic
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt (optional)
- 1 tsp agave (optional)
This recipe is just a method. Feel free to add or swap out other ingredients. You can use 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed (which would be delicious in this). Roasted corn, or red bell peppers would also taste fabulous! Feel free to experiment!
- Cook quinoa in the chicken broth/stock according to package directions. Spread on a cooking sheet lined with wax paper to cool and dry out.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the lime zest, lime juice, 1 handful of cilantro, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt, and agave in a blender (preferably a small, personal blender such as the Bullet). Add the oil and emulsify (or mix until combined).
- Add cooled quinoa, 1 handful of chopped cilantro, tomatoes, green onions, jalapeños and vinaigrette in a large bowl and toss gently with your fingers. Add diced avocado just before serving (tossing gently with your fingers).
This salad is great for leftovers or meal prep. I had leftovers for lunch over the next several days. My only regret is that I didn’t double the recipe. My co-workers LOVED it!