My sisters and I spent Mother’s Day harvesting some fresh strawberries at beautiful Tanaka Farms in Irvine a few weeks ago. What a fun experience…only $6 per person, and you get a tour of the vast property on a hayride truck, and your own container for picking plump, sweet strawberries! I picked up this yummy recipe from their farm store and just had to try it. It’s the perfect salad for this spring!
Health tips: Low fat, heart healthy, low carb, anti-inflammatory, diabetes friendly
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Maui onion, sweet white onion or shallots, grated
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 10 oz. spring baby greens mix, including spinach
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, quartered
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup crumbly cheese: feta, gorgonzola or blue
- Whisk oil, vinegar, salt, mustard, onion, sugar and poppy seeds in a medium bowl until blended.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the cheese and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with crumbled cheese. Enjoy!