It’s been very hot here in southern CA so all I’ve been craving are salads, fruits and cold drinks! This recipe is a favorite of mine and a traditional drink served in the Philippines during their hot humid days. It’s super simple to make and very refreshing. The hint of sugar is very mild so it definitely quenches your thirst. Plus, you get a little treat of cantaloupe meat at the very end. Whip this drink up for your family and friends at your next get together!
Health tips: Heart healthy, low carb, low fat, anti-inflammatory, kid friendly
Ingredients (10 servings)
- 1 medium cantaloupe
- Cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar (Tip: If you are watching your sugar, you can replace this with honey, agave or a sugar substitute. If using honey or agave, heat with half pitcher of water on the stove until dissolved.)
- Julienne/cantaloupe scraper (You can find the julienne scraper at any home store, and the cantaloupe scraper at a Filipino store like Seafood City. You can also use a melon baller if you can’t find a scraper.)
- Pitcher (Standard size is about 2 quarts.)
- Fill a pitcher halfway with water and stir in sugar until dissolved.
- Cut cantaloupe in half and remove the seeds. Cut each half in half again so they are now in fourths.
- Using a julienne/scraper tool, scrape the cantaloupe meat into strips into a pitcher until you reach the rind. The juices will also fall into the pitcher with the meat.
- Fill the remainder of the pitcher with more water. Stir with a long wooden spoon. Adjust sugar as desired.
- Chill in fridge for a few hours until very cold. Enjoy!