I don’t think of myself as someone who would order just a salad at a restaurant or look for salad recipes as meals, but once in awhile I come across some really amazing ones that just hit the spot. Giada’s lemony white bean and arugula salad is one of my favorites. It’s so bright and fresh, and with my addition of shredded rotisserie chicken breast, it made for a satisfying and substantial dinner. I’ve been traveling quite a lot for work and eating many wonderful dinners out with my co-workers, so I was excited to get back into my healthy eating! Just a few more months until the summer!
Health tips: Low fat, heart healthy, diabetes friendly, anti-inflammatory, low carb
Ingredients (4-6 servings)
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast (Breast from 1 whole chicken) (Tip: For convenience and flavor, I love to buy the ready-made rotisserie chicken from the store. Plus, you’ll have extra meat for future meals.)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (Tip: I like to use the jarred garlic since it’s milder than fresh, and keeping raw. If using fresh garlic, sauté a bit in olive oil until golden.)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 5 packed cups (5 oz.) arugula
- One 15 oz. can white beans (i.e. Cannellini, Great Northern), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest (About 1 large lemon)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (About 1 large lemon)
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salad: In a large salad bowl, combine chicken, garlic and seasoning. Then, toss in arugula, beans, red onion, and capers.
- Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, juice and maple syrup. Slowly whisk in the oil until smooth and combined. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to coat. Top with a bit of shredded Parmesan if you like. Enjoy!