Brrrrr it’s cold in here…I said there must be some Winter in the atmosphere! Umm finally right!??? I love this magical season and all the coziness that comes with it… Christmas lights, fireplace, blankets, hot cocoa and SOUPS, my favorite. Arroz Caldo is a porridge traditionally made around Christmas time in the Filipino culture. It’s simple, satisfying and oh so delish. Sort of like a melding of chicken soup and risotto. Typically it’s enjoyed for breakfast but it’s so yummy you can have it any time of the day. And also perfect when you have the bug. =( Snuggle up with a bowl of Arroz Caldo this Winter!
Health tips: Low fat
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken (skinless/boneless thighs) cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced (about 12 cloves), divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 cup uncooked Jasmine rice
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon calamansi or lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- 2 hardboiled eggs, sliced
- Fried garlic bits
- 4 scallions/green onions, chopped
- 2 Calamansi or lemon, cut into wedges
- Place 1/2 cup of oil and two-thirds of garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic turns light golden brown. Transfer garlic to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add ginger and remaining garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add chicken and cook until browned all over. Stir in fish sauce and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add rice and stir until well coated.
- Stir in chicken stock, running spoon along bottom of Dutch oven to release any browned bits. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is completely tender and stock has thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in lemon or calamansi juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Ladle into bowls. Top with egg slices, scallions and fried garlic, as desired. Serve immediately with additional lemon or Calamansi wedges, and fish sauce on the side. Enjoy!