We go camping A-LOT! We are gone a minimum of once a month! We typically camp with a lot of friends and family. I am constantly trying to come up with healthy, easy, and most importantly, delicious breakfasts and dinners! I found this recipe and modified it to my liking. I think this will be a HUGE hit with my camping peeps. I meal prepped this casserole so I can eat it all week long. I loved it just as much the next days of eating it! After all, it is a casserole…they’re usually as good IF NOT BETTER the next day! I topped my serving with my FAVORITE SALSA IN THE WHOLE WORLD! If you get a chance, check her out on Instagram @originalsalsame. Trust me, you will thank me later! Feel free to use any corn tortillas you prefer. I found yellow corn tortillas that were 25 calories per 1 tortilla!!! I usually enjoy lettuce wrapped tacos, but happy to have found the low cal tortillas! Enjoy my loves!
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 4 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/4 c. milk of choice (I used unsweetened cashew milk)
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef or turkey (cooked and browned with salt and pepper)
- 1 1/2 TBS taco seasoning (Try our recipe here!)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 3/4 c. chopped scallions
- 4 oz. can of chopped green chiles
- 9-12 corn tortillas (depending on their size)
- Salt & pepper
- 2 c. shredded cheese of choice (divided)
- Toppings: Greek yogurt, diced avocado, diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, chopped cilantro, salsa
- Heat oven to 350° and spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with a little cooking spray (I used avocado oil).
- In a bowl, toss the browned meat, bell pepper, chiles, scallions, 1 1/2 cups cheese, and taco seasoning.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt & pepper.
- Char tortillas over an open flame on your stove. Cut tortillas in half.
- Assemble casserole by laying 3-4 tortillas in the bottom of casserole dish. Add half of the meat mixture. Add another layer of 3-4 tortillas, then the rest of meat mixture. Top with the last of the 3-4 tortillas. Pour egg mixture over everything and top with the last 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45-55 minutes until set. Uncover and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Take it out and let it set for 15 minutes.
- Top with Greek yogurt, diced avocado, diced tomatoes, sliced black olives, and/or chopped cilantro. But my favorite kicker is the salsa! My dear friend Mischa makes the most amazing salsas! I highly recommend you check her out and order from her! @originalsalsame
One thought on “Mexican-Style Breakfast Casserole”
[…] Mexican-Style Breakfast Casserole — Family Apron […]