So it’s the summer right? The season of sun, BBQs, Sangrias and oh so sinful food LOL! Well I’ve done all that and then some, so to be able to get back into healthy eating with the start of this blog is so refreshing. We still have a couple of months of summer so now comes the opportunity to get back in shape, in time to show off those new bikinis and swim trunks! I discovered the original recipe for these burgers in an anti-inflammatory/rheumatoid arthritis meal plan and adjusted a few ingredients to further lower the calories and carbs.
Health tips: Anti-inflammatory, low fat, low carb, heart healthy, diabetes friendly
Ingredients (6-8 servings)
- 1/2 cup non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced (keep seeds in for spiciness); if you remove seeds, use 2 jalapenos
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans low-sodium black beans, drained, rinsed and mashed
- 2 cups grated raw sweet potato
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs, divided
- Romain lettuce
- Preheat broiler for medium-high heat. Set oven rack to be 4 to 5 inches from broiler. If your broiler only has a high setting, you’ll just need to adjust cooking time below.
- Zest and squeeze the lime into a small bowl. Add yogurt and hot sauce and stir to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in jalapeno, cumin, and garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Transfer onion mixture to a large bowl and add mashed black beans, sweet potato, egg, and ½ cup breadcrumbs. Stir to combine.
5. Form mixture into eight patties and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup breadcrumbs. Set patties on a lightly greased baking sheet and spray evenly with cooking spray.
6. Broil 8 to 10 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. If your broiler only has a high setting, cook in less time, about 4-5 minutes per side. Top burgers with spicy lime cream spread and wrap with lettuce.