I’ve made so many seafood dinners recently. But I can’t help it…it’s summer! There’s something about the summer and seafood (and wine); they just go together. You can make such light, healthy meals with seafood. And my shrimp salad is the perfect meal for warmer seasons (but please, feel free to make it whenever you’d like). Whether you make this on an indoor or outdoor grill, this meal is totally satisfying. This dinner may look super fancy, but it’s super easy to make. And the shrimp is full of flavor! Cheers to a great, healthy dinner!
Health tips: Diabetes friendly, kidney friendly
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 lb. to 1 ½ lb. 16-20 count shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1/3 lb. (or about 5 oz.) thinly sliced prosciutto (cut into thin strips)
- Sage leaves (if you want a milder sage flavor, cut the sage leaves in half length-wise)
- Olive oil
- 2 lemons halved and grilled (optional)
- Take one sage leaf (or a half sage leaf) and lay it on the top part of the shrimp. Wrap each shrimp with one strip of prosciutto. Set aside. Repeat with each shrimp. Skewer each shrimp on a metal stick (if using wood skewers, soak the skewers in water for 30 minutes prior to using/grilling). Put the 2 halved lemons on grill as well. Char for a few minutes.
- Grill over medium-high heat for 3 minutes per side. Let cool for a minute or 2. Take off of skewers and place on top of salad.
Grilled Lemon Vinaigrette Salad
- ¼ cup lemon juice from 2 lemons, cut in half and grilled (it may take up to 3 lemons depending on the size)
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ – ½ tsp salt (depending on your sodium intake)
- ½ tsp agave (or honey if you do not have agave…but agave is available in many grocery stores now, right next to the sugar)
- Shaved parmesan
- Your choice of greens (arugula, romaine, mixed greens, etc.)
I know it sounds weird, but grilling fruit intensifies the flavor and juiciness! Trust me, try it!
- While shrimp is cooking, place lemon halves on grill and char for a few minutes. Take off grill and squeeze out the juices into a container with a lid until you get ¼ cup. If it’s a little less, that’s okay! Add the pepper, salt, and agave. Add the oil and shake it up until it’s emulsified (or until you think it’s mixed). Add to the greens and toss! (You will add shrimp on top of this salad).
Brown Rice Pilaf
- 1 cup whole wheat spaghetti noodles, broken into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup instant Uncle Ben’s instant brown rice
- 2 TBS butter
- 1 ¾ cup low sodium chicken stock/broth
- Melt butter in skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 inch broken whole wheat spaghetti noodles and toast until browned, stirring frequently.
- Add 1 cup of Uncle Ben’s instant brown rice.
- Add the chicken stock (it’s going to mad-boil for a few seconds, just FYI) and boil for 1 minute. Put the lid on and simmer for 12-15 minutes.
Pulling it all together/notes
- Prep the shrimp first by wrapping the shrimp, skewering it, and set aside.
- Heat grill.
- While grill is heating, make/cook rice and let it set while finishing up the rest of meal.
- Put shrimp and lemons on grill.
- Once shrimp and lemons are off grill, let shrimp rest and make vinaigrette.
- To serve, make a pile of rice. Next to that, make a pile of vinaigrette salad. Add shrimp on top of salad. Serve the rest of the grilled lemon halves on the side to squeeze over the entire meal!
- Oh, and pour yourself a glass of wine! Cheers!
3 thoughts on “Prosciutto-Wrapped Shrimp, Arugula Salad with Grilled Lemon Vinaigrette, Oh… and Brown Rice Pilaf”
Looks so yummy and seems easy to make. I’m going to have to give it a try!! Thanks Tammy. 😊
Let me know what ya think!
[…] That’s it! Serve with a simple salad like my Arugula Salad with Grilled Lemon Vinaigrette found here https://familyapron.com/2015/09/02/prosciutto-wrapped-shrimp-arugula-salad-with-grilled-lemon-vineg… […]