We were invited to a friend’s house for football this past Sunday. I wanted to bring something that didn’t require cooking (it was a HOT day). So I decided to make my refreshing shrimp ceviche. It comes together quite fast and couldn’t’ be simpler to make. But make sure you make it at least 4 hours ahead, or even better, the night before. And when I have my shrimp ceviche, I’m going to want a Michelada to go with it! So make a Michelada with this one my friends! CHEERS!
Health tips: Heart healthy, kidney friendly, diabetes friendly, low carb
Ingredients (4 PLUS servings)
- 1 lb. uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut into small chunks (It doesn’t matter what size you buy because you care cutting them into small chunks. Buy whatever is on sale)
- ½ onion, finely chopped (I had a white onion on hand, so that’s what I used)
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped (I used Roma tomatoes because they were on sale)
- 3 TBS fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 TBS fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 lemons, cut in half, then juiced
- ¼ of a cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped/diced (optional)
- Hot sauce of choice-optional (Tabasco, Tapatio, etc)
- corn tostadas (optional)
- Peel and devein shrimp, then chop into small chunks. Add to a large bowl.
- Juice the 4 lemons, then add to the bowl with the shrimp.
- Chop the rest of the ingredients and add to the bowl. Give it all a good stir.
- Cover the bowl and let the shrimp cure in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight. Stir a few times to make sure the lemon juice covers all the shrimp. The lemon will actually cook/cure the shrimp. So no need to cook it! Trust me, it’s delicious!
- Corn tostadas go great with this recipe. But make sure you only have a few. CHEERS!