Who doesn’t like a savory and hearty Italian dish, especially when it’s low carb? This recipe pairs traditional flavors of a Marinara sauce topped over nutritious spaghetti squash. It’s so satisfying since you get to indulge in that delicious Italian turkey sausage, yet very light with all the vegetables jam-packed with vitamins. Enjoy this cozy meal this Fall!
Health tips: Low fat, anti-inflammatory, heart healthy, low carb, diabetes friendly
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- Olive Oil
- Sodium-free all-purpose/garlic seasoning (i.e. Mrs. Dash)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 oz. of Italian turkey sausage (2 links; each is 4 oz.)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 cups swiss chard, kale or spinach (Mixed is even better!)
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Optional: A few drops/drizzle of balsamic vinegar for a slightly tart sweetness
- Basil, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut off ends of the spaghetti squash, then cut in half vertically.
- Scoop out seeds and “guts”.
- Brush squash halves with olive oil and season with sodium-free seasoning and pepper.
- Place squash face down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until just tender. Be careful not to overcook or it will become watery and mushy. Set aside until cool enough to handle. If it did cook for a little longer than preferred, no worries, just drain extra liquid.
- While squash is baking, heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Cut the sausage lining and squeeze sausage meat out into the pan. Break it up with a wooden spoon and season with smoked paprika and pepper. Cook until browned, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add cherry tomatoes and saute with the sausage for a couple minutes. Add chicken stock, stir occasionally and burst tomatoes as you go. Cook until most liquid has evaporated and tomatoes are soft. Tomatoes should have developed its own sauce.
- Add in the greens until it quickly wilts, about 1 minute.
- Turn the heat off and add a large pinch of parmesan cheese. Mix thoroughly. Add a few drops/drizzle of balsamic vinegar if desired. Season as needed.
- Pull the spaghetti strands from the squash with a fork. It will be 1 serving per half.
- Top the spaghetti squash with a scoop of the roasted tomato and Italian sausage Marinara sauce. Top with basil and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!