Who doesn’t like a savory and hearty Italian dish, especially when it’s low carb? This recipe pairs traditional flavors of a Marinara sauce topped over nutritious spaghetti squash. It’s so satisfying since you get to indulge in that delicious Italian turkey sausage, yet very light with all the vegetables jam-packed with vitamins. Enjoy this cozy meal this Fall!
Health tips: Low fat, anti-inflammatory, heart healthy, low carb, diabetes friendly
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- Olive Oil
- Sodium-free all-purpose/garlic seasoning (i.e. Mrs. Dash)
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 oz. of Italian turkey sausage (2 links; each is 4 oz.)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 cups swiss chard, kale or spinach (Mixed is even better!)
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Optional: A few drops/drizzle of balsamic vinegar for a slightly tart sweetness
- Basil, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut off ends of the spaghetti squash, then cut in half vertically.
- Scoop out seeds and “guts”.
- Brush squash halves with olive oil and season with sodium-free seasoning and pepper.
- Place squash face down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until just tender. Be careful not to overcook or it will become watery and mushy. Set aside until cool enough to handle. If it did cook for a little longer than preferred, no worries, just drain extra liquid.
- While squash is baking, heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Cut the sausage lining and squeeze sausage meat out into the pan. Break it up with a wooden spoon and season with smoked paprika and pepper. Cook until browned, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add cherry tomatoes and saute with the sausage for a couple minutes. Add chicken stock, stir occasionally and burst tomatoes as you go. Cook until most liquid has evaporated and tomatoes are soft. Tomatoes should have developed its own sauce.
- Add in the greens until it quickly wilts, about 1 minute.
- Turn the heat off and add a large pinch of parmesan cheese. Mix thoroughly. Add a few drops/drizzle of balsamic vinegar if desired. Season as needed.
- Pull the spaghetti strands from the squash with a fork. It will be 1 serving per half.
- Top the spaghetti squash with a scoop of the roasted tomato and Italian sausage Marinara sauce. Top with basil and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!