If you are looking for an easy side dish for Christmas (or any other night of the year), then make my macaroni and cheese casserole. This is one of the very first dishes I created on my own. You do not have to make a sauce first; you just mix everything in a bowl, throw it in a casserole dish, bake it, and you’re done! It’s an oldie, but goodie. And it’s definitely a cheat meal. Double the recipe If you are cooking for a crowd. It’s the holidays, so enjoy!
Health tips: cheat meal
Ingredients: 6-8 servings
- ½ lb. (or 8 oz.) large elbow macaroni pasta (it’s half of a package)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cottage cheese (small curd)
- 3 cups (12 oz.) sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (get the block and shred it yourself, try not to buy the already-shredded stuff, it melts so much better)
- Salt and white pepper to taste (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Boil the pasta according to package directions (until al dente) and drain.
- Meanwhile, crack the egg in a large bowl and stir. Stir in the sour cream, cottage cheese, and salt and pepper (if using).
- Stir in 2 cups of shredded cheese.
- Add drained pasta to the bowl and give it all a stir until combined.
- Put into a casserole dish that has been sprayed with oil (you can also use a disposable foil pan if you are bringing this to a pot luck). Sprinkle the last cup of cheese on the top.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes and the top is nice and golden.