It’s hard to believe that Christmas is just a few days away… I can’t wait for all the goodies to devour! This side dish was inspired by a visit I had to BJ’s Restaurant & Brewhouse a couple months ago with some great friends as we “held court”(Our weekly meet up to catch up on the week and vent!). Brussel sprouts often get a bad wrap, but if they are so good for you! And, if you season and mix them up with just the right ingredients such as bacon, mayo and Sriracha, you can’t go wrong. You deserve a little indulgence if you eat your greens…Try this super easy and delicious recipe for your Christmas dinner!
Health tips: Diabetes-friendly, anti-inflammatory, low carb
Ingredients: 4-6 servings (Double or triple for a big crowd)
- 1 lb. Brussel Sprouts, brown ends cut off, yellow older leaves removed, halved (If Brussel Sprouts are larger, you can cut in quarters)
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Your choice of a lemon pepper-type seasoning, something with some citrus in it. Or just squeeze fresh lemon juice with pepper.
- Lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon light/non-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha (Start with 1 teaspoon for a mild spice, add more as desired)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Warm a large skillet on medium-high heat. Brown and crisp bacon. Set on a towel to soak up oil.
- Add and melt butter to the bacon drippings.
- Add Brussel Sprouts to the skillet and fry/brown both sides, about 5 minutes on each side, 10 minutes total. Season with a few pinches of salt, lemon pepper and fresh lemon juice, to taste. You’ll know they are cooked and ready when they turn bright green, softened inside, but crisp, brown and caramelized on the outside.
- In the meantime, mix together the mayo, yogurt, Sriracha and honey. Put in a plastic sandwich bag and cut the corner to act as a piping bag. (Or a squeeze bottle)
- Serve warm Brussel Sprouts in a casserole dish and drizzle crema over the top. Top with bacon. Enjoy!
3 thoughts on “Fried Brussel Sprouts with Honey Sriracha Crema and Bacon”
[…] you can pick up ready made flavored mayos from the store, like Kraft Reduced-Fat Chipotle Mayo: Honey Sriracha Crema, Cilantro Lime Crema, Chipotle […]
I also added lemon zest with the fresh lemon juice and pepper.
[…] (Adapted from Family Apron) […]