My hubby and I love shrimp tacos but sometimes we want a low-carb option. I created this recipe so that we can enjoy the rich, fresh flavors of shrimp tacos without the tortilla. They are so yummy! They are also a great recipe for the spring and summer seasons, light yet very tasty, especially with the creamy avocado scooped up with each bite!
Health tips: Low fat, heart healthy, low carb, anti-inflammatory, diabetes friendly
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 10-12 medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Pinch of kosher salt (About 1/8 teaspoon)
- Pinch of pepper (About 1/8 teaspoon)
- Pinch of sodium-free garlic seasoning (About 1/8 teaspoon)
- 2-4 cloves of garlic, grated or minced
- Zest of 1 lime
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of chipotle chili powder (About 1/8 teaspoon)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh salsa with extra cilantro added in, OR pico de gallo (tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Your choice of crema – Here are some quick recipe options. For something instant, you can pick up ready made flavored mayos from the store, like Kraft Reduced-Fat Chipotle Mayo: Honey Sriracha Crema, Cilantro Lime Crema, Chipotle Crema
- Queso fresco
- Hot sauce, if desired
- More chopped cilantro, if desired
- More lime juice, if desired
- Chop shrimp in 1/2″ bite-sized pieces. In a small bowl, mix shrimp thoroughly with the salt, pepper, seasoning, garlic, lemon zest, olive oil and chipotle chili powder. Cover and marinate in the fridge for half hour.
- Drizzle a bit more olive oil into a medium skillet and heat on medium high.
- Cook shrimp pieces, about 1 minute on each side, until just turns pink. Watch carefully so they don’t overcook! Set aside in a small bowl.
- Mix shrimp with fresh salsa or pico de gallo, and lime juice.
- Cut avocados in half and scoop out the seed. Spoon in about 2 heaping tablespoons of the shrimp mixture in each avocado half.
- Garnish with your choice of crema, queso fresco, hot sauce, cilantro and extra lime juice. Enjoy!