On a recent trip from Philly, I stopped at the Denver airport and had the best egg salad sandwich I’ve ever tasted! The Woody Creek Bakery & Cafe dished up some very unique and tasty sandwiches…one of my favorites was the El Diablo Egg Salad sandwich which included fresh jalapeños, bacon and a chipotle spread all inside of a cheesy jalapeño bread. OMG! Here’s my take on this spicy deliciousness!
Health tips: Cheat meal
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 12 large eggs
- 1 stalk celery (with leaves), chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, ribs removed, seeded and diced (Tip: It’s important to remove seeds so it’s not crazy spicy; handle with gloves!)
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, seeded (Tip: It’s important to remove seeds so it’s not crazy spicy; handle with gloves!)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 slices bacon, cooked, browned and crisp
- Your choice of bread, buttered and toasted
- In a small bowl, soak the onions in cold water, for 15 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, with a tight-fitting lid, place the eggs and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Cover the eggs, remove from the heat, and set aside for 8 minutes. Drain the water from the pan and cool the eggs in the pan under cold running water. Peel the eggs and cut into chunks.
- Blend the chipotle chili and mayo together in a small blender. If you don’t have a small blender, just mince the chipotle chili really finely and mix thoroughly with mayo.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chipotle mayo, onion, celery, jalapeños, cilantro, mustard and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Add the eggs to the mixture and gently mix them together. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- On your choice of bread, lay lettuce on the bottom. Top with a generous amount of egg salad, then top with crispy bacon (about 2 slices per sandwich). Enjoy!