I created my 2nd new favorite potato salad for summer BBQs! Besides Tyler Florence’s delicious dilly lemony potato salad I posted previously, I am now in love with the flavor of chipotle in salads, especially a creamy potato salad. I was inspired by a yummy chipotle pasta salad that I just fell in love with during an air show a few weeks ago. Mixing ranch in with the chipotle softens the spice for a larger crowd and adds a tangy creaminess to it. Hope you enjoy!
Health tips: Cheat meal
Ingredients (10-12 servings)
- 3 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled or unpeeled (If large, just chop into consistent smaller 2″ chunks.)
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 10 slices bacon, cooked, crisp and crumbled (Reserve 2 crumbled slices for garnish)
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, green parts only, thinly sliced (Reserve a large pinch for garnish)
- 2 cups chipotle mayo (Tip: I use the ready-made Kraft brand for convenience!)
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- 2 cups cheddar cheese or mixed Mexican style cheeses
- Additional salt, optional
- 2 eggs
- Smoked paprika or chipotle chili powder, optional
- Put the potatoes and eggs into a big pot of cold salted water about 1″ above potatoes and eggs. Bring to a simmer. After 12 minutes, remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and let cool. Continue cooking the potatoes until a paring knife poked into them goes in without resistance, about 15-20 minutes longer. Drain the potatoes in a colander and let them cool.
- Meanwhile, soak onions in water for about 15 minutes. This will soften the flavor of the raw onions. Drain.
- Mix the chipotle mayo and ranch in a large bowl until well blended. Then, mix in the red onions, green onions, bacon, celery and cheese.
- Cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Gently fold potatoes into dressing mixture until well mixed and all is coated. Season with salt as needed.
- Garnish with sliced hard-boiled eggs.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let flavors meld and cool.
- Right before serving, garnish with smoked paprika or chipotle chili powder, bacon and green onions. Enjoy!