There are times when I just want something sweet for breakfast…or I want something sweet after dinner, but don’t want to feel guilty about eating something unhealthy like ice cream. And since it’s gettin’ hot out, I decided to make a sweet treat I don’t have to feel guilty about. Yes, popsicles! You can totally have pops for breakfast…or dessert! After all, it’s just basically yogurt and fruit. Enjoy!
Health tips: kid-friendly
Ingredients: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (honey, vanilla, or plain)
- 1/4 cup sweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 TBS agave nectar, divided (if you don’t have agave, use honey)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries or a mix of berries/fruit (fresh or frozen, I prefer frozen for this recipe)
- a squeeze of lemon
- Put strawberries, berries, or other fruit in a small pan with 2 TBS water and 1 TBS agave (you can add an extra tablespoon of agave if you want it sweeter). Cook on medium heat, mashing fruit with a potato masher or a fork until thicker-almost to a chunky syrup consistency (about 5 minutes). Let cool (once it’s completely cool, the fruit mixture will thicken up). Set aside.
- Mix yogurt, almond milk, 1 TBS agave, and 1/2 ts vanilla in a bowl.
- Now fill up your popsicle mold. Assemble your pops by layering fruit mixture and yogurt mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time until filled to the top. Freeze. Enjoy for breakfast or dessert!
*I actually prefer the taste of plain Greek yogurt for this recipe. It gives it a nice tang, but is not too sweet. Please feel free to add granola, flax seed, or chia for an extra boost of healthiness!