I love football season! This year I joined a fantasy league and let me tell you, it has brought so much joy to my life! And when I think about football, I think about food! Especially wings! You can find my baked wings-two ways here. I came up with an even healthier version to get my “buffalo fix” on…meatballs! Please make these next time you watch football! Go Broncos! 🙂
Health tips: kidney-friendly, diabetes friendly
Ingredients (makes about 16 meatballs)
For the Meatballs:
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp salt (omit if you have kidney disease)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 c. panko bread crumbs (use whole wheat if you can find them)
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 c. carrots, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. celery, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 c. plus 1 TBS Frank’s Hot Sauce
- 1/3-1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese or Gorgonzola crumbles
- 1 TBS butter
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (optional)
- Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing for dipping
- olive oil spray
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix the chicken, salt, pepper, panko, egg, carrots, celery, Worcestershire, 1 TBS Franks, and Gorgonzola. Divide mixture into 16 balls. Lay on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet and spray with a little olive oil spray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees).
- In a large bowl, melt 1 TBS of butter in the microwave for a few seconds. Mix in the 1/4 cup Franks. When meatballs come out of the oven, gently toss the meatballs in the sauce.
- Serve with a side of Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing….and probably a cold beer or Michelada. 🙂