It’s so very hard to stay healthy during the holidays. However, I found a side dish recipe that inspired me! I modified it a bit, and I’m super happy with the results! If you feel the need to make a healthier side dish for your Christmas dinner, then make this! It hits all the same bells and whistles as a loaded baked potato, but much better for you! I’m excited to hear your thoughts. I’m going to make it for Christmas dinner!
Health tips: diabetes-friendly, low carb
Ingredients (makes 6 servings)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 2/3 c. 0% fat Greek yogurt (but feel free to use whatever fat content you’d like)
- 1 c. extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 scallions, chopped (divided)
- 5 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 tsp dry ranch salad dressing mix
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- butter to rub inside baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Rub the baking dish with butter.
- Insert a steamer basket into a pot and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add cauliflower, cover, and steam until very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer cauliflower to a bowl, mash, and strain excess water (if you do not have a steamer basket, just fill your pot with an inch of water, cook until the cauliflower is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mash cauliflower until it’s to your preferred chunk-iness! Mix cauliflower, Greek yogurt, cheese, ranch dressing mix, onion powder, and garlic powder, and 2 chopped scallions together in a 9-inch baking dish. Pour in prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven, 30 minutes. Then turn on broiler and cook until browned on the top. Sprinkle with remaining chopped scallions and additional Greek yogurt, if desired.
- Merry Christmas! You have a healthier side dish! ❤