The amazing flavors of rosemary and Dijon mustard are some of my favorites, and it doesn’t take much to make magic. Plus, they are natural, low-fat ingredients! I was inspired by Ina Garten’s roasted mustard chicken thighs while watching the Food Network. I saw that she had dredged her chicken in Dijon as the binder which I thought was genius! It not only keeps the bread crumbs on but adds great flavor underneath. I use skinless chicken breasts instead of thighs to keep it light. Baking the breasts keeps it super moist too. It’s one of my husband’s favorite chicken recipes and he says he doesn’t miss the fried version at all, especially with the crispy Panko!
Health tips: Low fat, kid friendly, heart healthy, anti-inflammatory
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (1/2 medium lemon)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1 large chicken breast, cut horizontally down the middle (Becomes 2 thinner 1/2″ thick pieces)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together garlic, rosemary, lemon zest, salt, pepper, panko and olive oil in a shallow dish until slightly moist.
- Whisk Dijon mustard with water in another shallow dish.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Generously coat each chicken piece with the mustard mixture on both sides, and then place into the panko bread crumb mixture, pressing gently to make the crumbs adhere to both sides.
- Spray a baking rack with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet lined with foil. Place the chicken on the baking rack and spray with cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake the chicken for 30 minutes until cooked through
- Switch the oven to broil (500 degrees F.) and place chicken about 3″ from the fire. Quickly brown the top of the chicken. Watch carefully as this only takes a few minutes!
- Immediately serve with your favorite veggies. I enjoyed mine with sauted sweet peppers and chives!