I am beyond excited to jump back on the healthy eating and exercise bus of 2018! As we all know, the holidays just bustle with comforting, rich, heavy foods and it’s just tough to avoid it and keep that holiday cheer haha. The new year brings new goals, accomplishments and challenges. When I heard that Bobby Flay was releasing a healthy cookbook, I just jumped on my Amazon app stat! He is the king of bold flavors so I knew I couldn’t lose with his amazing recipes. This is the first recipe I’ve tried from Bobby Flay Fit and my husband and I were absolutely satisfied with the result. It’s definitely a different take on cod that I’ve never tried before, and the pomegranate seeds were a unique addition! They added a nice pop and slightly sweet contrast to the spice and acidity. Just made a few minor tweaks (used olive oil instead of canola and didn’t use salt to season the avocado salsa verde) but other than that perfecto! Not only is it fresh and delicious, but it’s so simple and quick to throw together. Buy this book ASAP!!!
Health tips: Low fat, heart healthy, low carb, diabetes friendly, anti-inflammatory
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 2 cups or 16 oz. jar Salsa Verde, preferably Frontera brand (Tip: Sprouts’ fresh Salsa Verde is bomb. It already has some avocado in there and a spicy kick!)
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- Juice of 1 lime, plus extra lime wedges for serving
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Four 6 oz. cod fillets (1 1/2 lbs.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 425 degres F.
- Pour Salsa Verde into blender with avocado, lime juice, and a splash of water, and blend until smooth. Add more water if needed to get the consistency you want.
- Add cilantro and pulse a few times to incorporate but leave some green flecks. Season with pepper.
- Brush cod on both sides with oil, season each side with a pinch of salt and pepper, and put in a baking dish lined with foil.
- Roast until just cooked through and flaky, about 25-30 minutes.
- Top cod with avocado salsa verde, and scatter pomegranate seeds and cilantro over the top. Squeeze more lime juice on top as well. Serve with some seasoned roasted veggies (I cooked alongside the cod for ease) and enjoy!