I am really enjoying Giada’s newest cookbook “Happy Cooking”! The recipes are just so clean, delicious and not too difficult. In this intense summer heat, I’m especially looking for refreshing, light dishes that don’t use the oven or stove. I came across her Easy Peasy Chicken Salad and my husband and I just loved it. It has great herby flavors from the fresh tarragon and chives, brightness from the lemon and crunch from the snap peas. Because I’m obsessed with the slight bite of brown mustard in creamy sauces, I just added a bit. I also used non-fat Green yogurt to make it even lighter. So yummy!
Health tips: Low fat, heart healthy, low carb, diabetes friendly
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1-2 teaspoons Dijon or brown course mustard, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups white skinless rotisserie chicken meat, shredded (1-2 medium chickens, depending on size)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives or scallions
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, thinly sliced (about 1/4 lb.)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 head of lettuce to wrap chicken salad with (Bibb, Butter or Romaine lettuce works best)
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, tarragon, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, mustard and salt. Whisk well to combine. Taste and adjust as desired.
- Add the shredded chicken along with chives and snap peas. Mix together using rubber spatula to coat all the chicken and vegetables evenly.
- Allow the salad to sit and cool in the fridge for at least 15 minutes (can be stored for up to 3 days). To serve, stuff lettuce leaves with chicken salad like a wrap, season with freshly ground pepper and enjoy!