It’s a brand new year and a new start! We’re so excited over here at Family Apron to share a brand new set of healthy recipes with you. Our goal this year is to share recipes that are not only healthy, but also easy, delicious and nostalgic of popular favorites. =) One of my absolute favorite cravings are the Jalapeño Poppers over at Jack in the Box, I swear if I could eat those everyday, I would! But unfortunately, nope I can not! This recipe takes those amazing flavors, and transforms them into a light, wholesome dish. Looking forward to a great 2016 with you!
Health tips: Low carb, heart healthy, diabetes friendly, kid friendly, low fat
Chicken Ingredients (4 servings)
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut in half (about 10 oz. each; 4 pieces about 5 oz. each)
- 4 Spicy Pepper Jack Laughing Cow wedges
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded, plus 1/4 cup extra for sprinkling on top
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped, extra for garnish
- 3 fresh jalapeños (about 5-6 tablespoons more or less per your taste; (HANDLE WITH GLOVES OR A SPOON) seeded, chopped and sautéd a bit so not too crunchy (Tip: If you don’t like much spice, you can replace with canned green chilis or a lighter fresh pepper like bell or poblanos.)
- Your choice of seasoning: garlic, all-purpose chicken seasoning
- Olive oil
Dressing Ingredients (8 servings) (Tip: You’ll have some extra to pour over or serve on the side with the Jalapeño Popper Stuffed Chicken if desired. IT’S ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!)
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup non-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Your choice of salad
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small blender, blend together all dressing ingredients and set aside in the fridge.
- In a medium oven-safe pan, saute jalapeños a bit with some olive oil over medium heat, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Make a pocket by butterflying each chicken half, cut horizontally across the middle of the chicken breast without cutting through the end.
- Place plastic wrap on top of each chicken half and pound until about 1/2″ thick.
- Mix stuffing ingredients, Laughing Cow cheese, cheddar cheese, green onion, jalapeños and a pinch of salt.
- Divide creamy mixture in four and spread inside each chicken breast. Close chicken breast up and secure the open ends with toothpicks. Season both sides of breast with a pinch of salt, pepper and seasoning.
- In same pan, wipe excess oil from jalapeños. Heat olive oil over high heat. Brown chicken breasts, about 2 minutes per side. Take off heat and sprinkle a large pinch of cheddar cheese on top of each chicken breast.
- Transfer to oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until cooked through and meat thermometer reads 165 degrees. Set chicken aside and loosely cover with foil for a few minutes to keep warm and let juices redistribute. Pour pan juices and squeeze lime juice over top. Garnish with more green onion. Serve with a salad with the Cilantro Lime Dressing.