I was inspired by the wonderful Rachael Ray for this delicious recipe. It’s a nice light change to the traditional tomato-based beef chilis, instead using white beans, chicken and poblano peppers for some kick. I cook it in the slow-cooker so I can set it and forget it, and then enjoy it on a cold night. So simple and comforting!
Health tips: Low fat, low carb, anti-inflammatory, diabetes friendly, heart healthy
Ingredients (6 servings)
- Olive oil
- All-purpose seasoning
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken (about 2 breasts), cut into 4″ big chunks or 1/2″ smaller pieces (Depending on if you want small shreds later from bigger chunks or smaller bite-sized pieces already cut)
- Three 15 1/2 oz. cans white beans (do not drain)
- 3 large poblano chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced/grated garlic (about 4 pieces)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon additional salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin, toasted
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese (or Mexican blend), plus extra for topping
- Reduced or non-fat sour cream or yogurt
- Chop onion and chiles. (IMPORTANT: When scooping out chile seeds, handle with gloves or a spoon to avoid burning.) Mince/grate garlic.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and/or all-purpose seasoning.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan on medium-high heat. Brown all sides of chicken and transfer to a crockpot.
- Add the onions, garlic and poblanos to the pan until softened and golden brown. Add more oil if needed. Take a bit of the chicken broth and pour in the pan to deglaze all the tasty brown bits. Add to the crockpot with the chicken, along with the white beans, rest of the broth, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano and chipotle chili powder. Mix together.
- Slow-cook in the crockpot on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- If you cooked bigger 4″ chunks, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. If you cut into 1/2″ bite-sized pieces already, you are good to go. If you prefer more liquid, just add more broth. Season as needed.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Serve and top with sour cream or yogurt, cheese, cilantro, and fresh lime juice. Enjoy!