This super easy snack is one of my favorites! It only takes 3 ingredients to make and is ready in a jiffy. You can even share them as an appetizer for a get together or potluck. It’s very light, and satisfying at the same time…almost reminds me of a tiny low-carb pizza! =)
Health tips: Low fat, low carb, heart healthy, diabetes friendly, anti inflammatory
Ingredients (3-4 servings)
- 2 roma tomatoes
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh basil leaves
- Italian cheese blend, shredded; OR mix of mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced (about 1/4″ thick) and parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cut top end of tomato off and slice into 1/2″ rounds. You should get about 3 or 4 from each roma tomato.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil, and drizzle olive oil over the top. (Tip: Parchment paper will allow you to peel off the crispy cheese that has fallen more easily!) Then, sprinkle with some salt, pepper and any other seasoning of your choice.
- Place 2-4 basil leaves on top of each tomato round. Then, top with about 1 tablespoon or so of cheese on top. If using mozzarella slices, place a square slice over each and then top with parmesan. (Tip: If you have leftovers from the Lemon Pesto recipe, you can replace the basil with the pesto!)
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until tomatoes are softened, and cheese is melted. If you want the cheese more golden, just leave in for another minute or 2. Let sit for a couple minutes to cool a bit. Serve warm. Enjoy!