Tonight was going to be red-meat night. We were originally going to cook up some steaks. But then my daughter Kayla said she wanted to make quesadillas instead. And me being super tired because it’s the first week of school, I said yes please! Kayla is a salty-pork-eaten girl! She loves salami, bacon, SPAM…you get the picture! She asked “Mom, can I put Spam on my quesadilla?” I told her “TRY IT!” And so she did! And now I’m sure she is going to make these as often as I let her. It’s not the healthiest of meals, but it take few ingredients, it cooks up quick, and we all loved them!
-Tammy & Kayla
Health tips: kid-friendly, cheat meal
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 4 flour tortillas (used your favorite brand)
- cheese of choice (we used sharp cheddar)
- Spam of choice (I like the turkey Spam the best-it has the least amount of fat and sodium)
- Dice the spam into 1/4-1/2 inch chunks and fry in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. If you are using the turkey Spam, add a little oil to the pan before cooking. If you are using regular Spam, you will not need any oil. Set aside. Wipe the skillet with a paper towel.
- In the same skillet, melt a little butter in the pan over medium heat. Lay the tortilla in the skillet and sprinkle half of one side with cheese, sprinkle as much Spam as you’d like over the cheese. Sprinkle a little more cheese on top of the Spam and fold the half over. After a minute or two, check to see how golden the bottom side is, then flip over to crisp up the other side.
- Let cool for a a few minutes, then cut into four pieces. Serve plain or with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole. Thank you Kayla for making your tired mom dinner! 🙂