It’s definitely hot out there so I’ve been trying to find some no-cook recipes to avoid any heat from the stove and oven. Thank you to our friend Gaby as well for your no-cook ideas question. It’s really inspired us to go on the hunt for creative and quick ways to whip up delicious meals without that added heat. I love the exotic flavor of curry, especially on chicken, and wanted to find a way to enjoy it as a summer treat. Ina Garten’s curried chicken salad recipe is fabulous! The use of the chutney really brings it to a whole new level and there is great texture with the celery and cashews. I lowered the fat by using light mayo and non-fat greek yogurt and also lowered the salt. This is a must try!
Health tips: Heart healthy, low fat, anti-inflammatory, diabetes friendly and low carb (if eaten on wheat or without bread)
Ingredients (6 servings)
- About 6 cups cooked, seasoned chicken breast, chopped into larger bite-sized pieces (Tip: This is another great recipe for already-roasted chicken from the store!)
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup non-fat greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chutney (Tip: We recommend Major Grey’s. It’s found in the condiments aisle by the BBQ sauce and mustard.)
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup medium-diced celery (2 large stalks)
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts (2 scallion bunches)
- 1 cup roasted, lightly salted or salt-free cashews (whole or halved)
- Combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, wine, chutney, curry powder, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth and season as needed.
- Combine the chicken with enough dressing to moisten well. Add the celery and scallions, and mix well. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. Add the cashews and serve cool. You can enjoy in a sandwich, pita or with some salad greens!