It’s so funny where dinner might take you! I was inspired by Clinton Kelly’s Korean BBQ Chicken Drumsticks! I decided to create my own Asian-style green beans to go with it! Then, of course, my daughter asked for rice…and so…dinner was created. I cannot say it’s the most “kidney-friendly” (because of the amount of sodium), but it can be diabetes-friendly (minus the rice). 🙂 So cheers to all who decide to make this meal. It’s fricken delicious!
Health tips: kid-friendly, diabetes-friendly
Chicken Ingredients (4-6 servings)
- 12-14 skin-on drumsticks
- olive oil
- 1/3 c. low-sodium soy sauce (or liquid aminos)
- 1 TBS rice wine vinegar
- 3 TBS honey
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 TBS fresh ginger
- 4 scallions whites and greens separated
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. In a large bowl, toss drumsticks with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill 25-30 minutes, turning occasionally for 25-30 minutes or until a meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees. Take off and set aside.
- Mean while, in a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame seeds, honey, red pepper flakes and pepper. Set aside.
- To a wok or saucepan over medium-high heat, add the garlic, ginger and scallion whites to 1 tsp of sesame oil, and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, to brown slightly.
- Add the soy sauce mixture and cook for 3-4 minutes until bubbling.
- In a large bowl, toss finished drumsticks with sauce until well-coated, transfer to a serving platter, sprinkle with scallion greens, sesame seeds, and serve.
Green Bean Ingredients (4 servings)
- 3 TBS low-sodium soy sauce (or liquid aminos)
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flake
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 TBS sesame oil
- 1 TBS olive oil
- Make sauce; add soy sauce, red pepper flake, and honey in a bowl and mix; set aside.
- To a wok or saucepan over medium-high heat, heat olive oil and sesame oil. Then add green beans and saute for 5-7 minutes (depending on how al dente you like them).
- Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add sauce to pan and cook for another minute. Turn off heat and serve.