This recipe was inspired by a delicious grilled scallops and red pepper recipe I always loved by Paula Deen. But instead of roasting and wrapping red pepper around the scallops, I wanted to create a luscious, yet light and bright sauce. I saw a similar shrimp with red pepper aioli recipe that used egg yolks but wanted to cut down on the fat so I used non-fat green yogurt instead and replaced the shrimp with scallops. Scallops are not only luxurious, but actually have less cholesterol than shrimp, promote a healthy heart and are high in omega 3s! Plus, I can’t get enough of rosemary and lemon, so this recipe just sung to me. If you want to present an elegant, yet very easy and quick dish, this is the one!
Health tips: Heart healthy, low carb, low fat, anti-inflammatory, diabetes friendly
Ingredients (2-4 servings)
Scallop Marinade (Tip: You can also use shrimp!)
- 1 lb. medium/large scallops (Tip: For a meal, serve about 5 large scallops or 7 medium scallops per person.)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced or grated
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Mezzetta® Roasted Bell Pepper brine (juice)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce (Tip: This makes extra sauce to use for extra dipping if serving as an appetizer, if doubling the scallops, or to be used for later.)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced or grated
- 2 tablespoons non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup Mezzetta® Roasted Bell Pepper, drained and chopped (Reserve brine for marinade) (Tip: You can find this in the condiments aisle by the mustard and olives)
- 2 tablespoons Mezzetta® Deli Sliced Tamed Jalapeño Peppers (Tip: You can find this in the condiments aisle by the mustard and olives.)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a medium bowl, combine scallops, olive oil, lemon zest, garlic, salt, pepper, brine and rosemary. Marinate in the fridge for 1/2 hour.
- In the meantime, add garlic, yogurt, lemon juice, salt, roasted red peppers and jalapeños to a small food processor or bullet. Process until well combined. Scrape the sides.
- Start adding in the olive oil until it is completely incorporated and the mixture is thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat grill or sauté pan on medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Cook the scallops about 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown and opaque (solid white) in the middle. Watch carefully as these cook quickly.
- If eating as a meal, spoon some sauce on a plate and serve scallops on top with a fresh squeeze of lemon juice. If serving as an appetizer, serve scallops alongside a small dipping bowl of the sauce, with some toothpicks and lemon wedges. Enjoy!