This is one of my favorite Rachael Ray recipes, and great for a family dinner! The sauce is so creamy yet so fresh, with very very soft heat from the poblano peppers. I adjusted it to use lower fat ingredients to be able to enjoy it more often. I especially love the melted cheese on top. As long as you serve alongside some roasted veggies, it’s completely fine =)!
Health tips: Low fat, heart healthy, diabetes friendly, low carb
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 2-3 medium poblano peppers, seeded and stemmed, chopped
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- A small handful of cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons salt-free butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat cream (i.e. evaporated milk, half-and-half, greek yogurt, creamer)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheese, shredded (i.e. Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Manchego)
- Thinly sliced red onions, for garnish
- In a blender or food processor, combine the peppers with stock, onions, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper to taste; puree.
- In a saucepot over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Whisk in the flour; add the milk and cream and raise the heat a bit. Add the poblano puree and simmer to thicken and cook the sauce, 20-25 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of olive oil and butter in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat and melt. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and brown for 3-4 minutes on each side. Keep in the oven-proof skillet with brown bits, spread the poblano sauce over the top and cover each chicken breast with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken pieces (Chicken is done at 165-170 degrees F) – it should be melty and bubbly on top.
- Garnish with red onions and cilantro. I like to serve mine alongside roasted veggies, enjoy!