My hubby has the week off and we’re heading to the beach. I over pack food and drinks. But I’d rather have too much than not enough! My kiddos requested the good ‘ol peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but I wanted a different kind of sandwich to enjoy, so I’m making a panini-a caprese panini….tomato, mozzarella, and basil. If you don’t feel like PB & J, then make this! Enjoy!
Health tips: kid-friendly, vegetarian
Ingredients: 1 serving
- 2 slices of your favorite bread (I’m using sour dough today)
- 1 TBS butter, room temperature
- 1/2 clove of garlic, grated or finely chopped
- Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Mozzarella cheese (shredded, or sliced)
- Fresh basil leaves
- Mix butter and garlic together. Spread this mixture on one side the each of the slices of bread. Press the buttered side of the bread into a plate of shredded parm cheese. On the plain side of the bread, add a a few slices of mozzarella cheese, then a few slices of tomato, a few torn leaves of basil, end with a few more slices of cheese (if you are using shredded mozzarella, then layer a small handful on the plain side of the bread, followed by the tomatoes, basil, then finish of with one last small handful of shredded mozz, spread out evenly).
- Cook in a panini press or a non-stick pan on medium-low heat until the cheese is melted and the parm cheese on the outside has a nice golden crust. Cut in half and enjoy!