Hot summer days equals light, healthy meals! The hubby wanted buffalo wings, and I wanted something lighter, but something that would hit the same bells and whistles! When I told him I’d be making my buffalo chicken salad, he was very happy. He LOVES this salad! You can always buy your own blue cheese dressing, but I like to make my own dressings from scratch because you can control the quality and quantity of ingredients. My husband does NOT like blue cheese dressing; the moldy cheese, it freaks him out! However, he does love feta cheese. So I make his “blue cheese” dressing into a “feta cheese” dressing. I still prefer blue cheese, so I divide the base mix into 2 bowls-one for me with blue cheese, and one for him with feta cheese. Feel free to make your own! Or you can always go out a buy a bottle. They have great yogurt-based dressing in the produce section. Enjoy!
Health tips: kidney-friendly, diabetes-friendly, low carb
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 lb. of boneless, skinless chicken breast
- salt and pepper or your favorite seasoning (I have a garlic seasoning I like to use)
- 2 TBS Franks Red Hot Sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 hearts of Romaine, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Blue cheese dressing (or feta cheese dressing)
Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 TBS mayo
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 1 very small clove of garlic, grated
- 1/2 cup blue cheese or feta cheese, crumbled
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt, mayo, buttermilk, salt, and garlic. Fold in cheese crumbles. Set aside in fridge.
- In a large bowl combine the Romaine, celery, shredded carrots and scallions.
- Sprinkle the chicken with seasoning of choice (or salt and pepper). Cook in a skillet with a little olive oil over medium to medium-high heat for about 4 minutes on each side (depending on how thick the breasts are). Let chicken rest for a few minutes.
- Make the sauce by mixing the Franks sauce and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Slice chicken into bite-size pieces and toss with the sauce.
- To assemble, gather 4 plates or bowls. Divide the salad mixture into four portions. Lay 1/4 of the chicken on top of each salad. Top with dressing, or serve on the side. Sprinkle a few more cheese crumbles on top.