This is one of my favorite chicken recipes, it’s so easy, flavorful and low cost! And you can whip it together in no time after a long day at work or school. You’ll love the balance of soft heat, tartness and richness of the salsa verde and cheese. I love to serve it alongside a salad, or sautéd or roasted veggies.
Health tips: Low carb, Keto, low fat, diabetes friendly
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 2 chicken breasts, cut horizontally along the middle to make 4 pieces about 1/2″ thick (pound if you need to), about 5 oz. each
- Salsa verde (Tip: Big fan of the fresh spicy one from Sprouts and the avocado salsa verde from Albertson’s, but any kind will do)
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese such as a Mexican blend or Monterey Jack
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in an oven-proof sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Quickly brown both sides of the chicken, then generously pour salsa verde over the top.
- Finish cooking the chicken in the oven until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, about 15 minutes.
- During the last 2 minutes, sprinkle 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese over the top of each chicken, and finish baking until melted.
- Spoon extra sauce over the top of the chicken and garnish with cilantro. Enjoy!