Ok, who doesn’t have pizza as one of their tops favorite foods? It is #1 on my list! But oh how we wish we could have it multiple times a week without feeling guilty! This portobello “crust” allows you to enjoy your favorite pizza toppings…mmmm cheese and meat… without the carbs. These are some of my favorite low-fat toppings, but you can definitely make it your own. It’s also a fun recipe you can make with your kids while giving them a good dose of veggies!
Health tips: Low carb, low fat, anti-inflammatory, heart healthy, kid friendly, diabetes friendly
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps, wipe clean with a damp towel and pull stems off
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Italian turkey sausages, sweet or spicy depending on your taste (If you can only find sweet and you like spicy, just add some red pepper flakes when cooking)
- 1/2 cup low-fat and/or low-sodium pasta/pizza sauce
- 1 cup fat-free mozzarella or Italian blend cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups kale, leaves cut off stems and chopped
- 12 cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- Basil, julienned into thin strips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a bit of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Squeeze Italian sausage out of the casing and cook until just browned, breaking up into small pieces as it cooks, about 5-8 minutes. Add red pepper flakes if desired.
- Take skillet off heat and add kale to the sausage. Quickly mix in for about 30 seconds, until it just starts to turn bright green. Set aside.
- Place mushroom caps, tops down, on a baking sheet lined with foil and a baking rack to roast evenly and avoid soggy bottoms. (Tip: If you don’t have a baking rack, you can create aluminum rings you can place caps on top of. Point is to lift caps from bottom of pan.)
- Brush olive oil on the inside and outside, and sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper inside the caps.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of pasta/pizza sauce around the inside of each mushrooms cap. Then, sprinkle each cap with 1/4 cup cheese. Next, top with sausage and kale mixture. Finally, top with 6 tomato halves. Drizzle a bit more olive oil and sprinkle with a bit more salt and pepper.
- Bake in oven for about 20-25 minutes until cheese has melted, and tops of sausage, kale and tomatoes are roasted and browned.
- Remove from oven and garnish portobello pizzas with fresh basil. Serve immediately and enjoy!